The members of the Patuxent River Branch of the AAUW strive to expose and eliminate social, political and economic discrimmination that limits women and others in our community by:
- Supporting equity in everyday life for women and girls
- Communicating AAUW supported issues and causes to our community
- Encouraging girls and women to pursue higher education and challenging careers
Charles County Branch was first chartered in 1958 as Indian Head-LaPlata Branch, then changed its name to Charles Co Branch in 1979. St. Mary’s City Branch was chartered in 1960. Calvert Co Branch was chartered in 1991. All three branches merged to form Patuxent River Branch in 2006. We plan programs for personal growth and work to help women pursue higher education and leadership development.
AAUW Patuxent River Branch 2012-2013 Sponsorships:
- Dare to Dream Grant – provided women in Southern Maryland with opportunities for personal growth from 2007-2013.
- Margaret Keen Award — established in 1980 by the AAUW St. Mary’s City Branch to recognize a senior woman who personifies the AAUW mission.
- Mary Matula Award — presented to a female participant in the Charles County Schools Science Fair.